Home » Mohali Villages Seek Time to Respond to Unauthorised Building Notices

Mohali Villages Seek Time to Respond to Unauthorised Building Notices

by TheReportingTimes

Mohali, April 2: Village leaders from areas under Mohali municipal corporation urged Mayor Amarjit Singh Sidhu on Tuesday to grant them three months to respond to notices declaring their homes and shops unauthorised.

The municipal corporation’s building branch recently issued around 104 notices, affecting residents of Shahimajra, Madanpura, Kumbra, Sohana, Mataur, and Mohali. Concerned by the sudden crackdown, village representatives requested additional time to gather documents and submit responses.

During the meeting, the delegation submitted a formal request, stressing the distress caused by the notices. They called for a fair opportunity to explain their cases and sought an extension of the deadline.

The enforcement drive began after a building collapse in Sohana in December last year killed two people. A subsequent municipal survey identified over 50 illegal high-rises across these villages. Over the past three months, the civic body has issued around 30 notices against building violations, with further action planned.

The mayor reiterated that only three-storey structures are permitted in these villages. “Many residents have constructed additional floors in violation of municipal regulations. Action will be taken against unauthorised constructions,” he said.

He assured the delegation that a special municipal corporation meeting would be convened to address the issue. “No injustice will be done to village residents,” Sidhu said.

The delegation included Shiromani Akali Dal’s Mohali constituency head Parvinder Singh Sohana, Akali leaders Jasvir Singh Jassa and Shamsher Purkhalvi, councillor Jagdish Singh Jagga, and several others.

You may also like